The Rose Hills Foundation supports qualified tax-exempt charitable organizations for the benefit of the people of Southern California with a current emphasis on organizations based in and serving Los Angeles County.
Preferential attention will be given to organizations exhibiting the following positive factors:
- *As of March 18, 2020, the Foundation will prioritize programs and organizations focusing on direct, on-the-ground services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, taking into account short- and long-term needs. Please refer to the Resource Center for further guidance.
- A history of achievement, good management, and a stable financial condition
- Organizations that allocate a high percentage of their operating expenses directly to their programs
- Programs that are self-sustaining and will not necessitate continued dependence on the Foundation
- Programs where the Foundation’s gift is matched or multiplied
- Programs consistent with the Foundation’s identified areas of interest
- Programs which will benefit people of Southern California
- Programs which will reach the greatest number of people at the most reasonable cost
- Significant programs with the promise of making a measurable impact
Grants Not Supported
At the present time, the Foundation will not entertain grant applications for:
- *Any capital projects (as of March 18, 2020).
- An endowment
- Athletic/sports leagues
- California State Universities
- Capital projects for private, independent, or parochial schools (K-12)
- Charter schools
- Community colleges
- Documentary filmmaking or television programming
- Educational foundations
- Elementary and middle schools (K-8)
- Government agencies
- Grants to pass-through organizations or foundations which redistribute donated funds
- Hospitals/hospital foundations
From time to time, the Directors may elect to support nonprofit organizations of special interest, which are within the Foundation’s broad charter but may be outside of the Foundation’s current areas of emphasis. Such grants are initiated by the Directors at their discretion; unsolicited proposals are not accepted for special projects.